Thursday, June 17, 2010

Starting over chapter 03

Chapter three
“That would be nice” Meg agreed to Ben’s proposal about going to Valldemosa together “Do you know when the bus will leave?” she asked. “Nah, I thought I’d rent a car and drive myself, that is if you’ll feel safe going with me” The waiter came to clear their plates away and asked if they wanted some coffee “Not for me” Meg said “The wine is enough” and Ben agreed and when the waiter left he turned back to Meg “What do you say” Meg smiled “Somehow in this short time I’ve gotten a feeling I do feel safe with you, so yes, I’d like to go with you”

Too soon the lunch was over and it was time to get back on the bus. There were two more stops on the trip one at the pearl factory and one at a shop with a lot of ceramics and about 40 different kinds of liqueur. Most men were gathered around the bus at the first stop while the women visited the factory and later the shop. Meg had never seen so many counters filled with pearl jewellery. She bought herself a single drop formed pearl to hang in a necklace and a similar one for her sister.

The next morning when Meg started her run on the beach she noticed Ben and picked up her pace “Good morning Ben” said as she came up at his side. They both stopped “Good morning” he smiled at her “Thanks for yesterday, it was nice to spend the trip with someone for once” “I have to agree” Meg said “You want some company on the run?” “Sure” Ben said and they started off walking to pick up the pace to a slow jog. “Can I buy you a cup of coffee?” Ben asked as they stood back at the spot they had met stretching. Meg hesitated “Oh sorry” Ben said “You maybe have other plans” Meg shook her head “Not really, the only thing I had planned today was to look thru some photos and stuff my sister sent yesterday…. But it can wait” Meg was surprised at her own reaction, NEVER had worked gotten to wait before. Ben held out his hand “Come on then, I know a great place. Close to the big road in the crossing but it got great service” Meg took his hand and they walked off. At the restaurant Ben ordered coffee and the menu “Are you hungry?” “Actually yes I am, but I can pay my own way” Ben shook his head “No, I asked you and this will be my treat” As they waited for their order the talked about the trip the previous day “I got some really great photos” Meg said “I loaded them onto my laptop last night” “Oh” Ben said “I never got around to look at mine” Meg looked at him “I guess not everyone spends their evenings like me, locked up in their hotel room looking at photos. I guess you went out” Ben shook his head “No, I get enough of that at home” he admitted and added quickly “I’ve got a night club of my own” “Interesting” Meg said “What’s it called?” “The Deep” Ben answered her “Not very originally, but it’s in the cellar of the building I own where I keep an internet café in the ground level” “You’re a real business man, aren’t you?” Meg grinned “You can say that as I got another company together with my brother” “Wow, is there any end to your empire?” “Enough about me” Ben said “What do you do for a living?” he asked. “Me and my sister is renovating an old hotel that we hope to open within two months” Ben raised his eyebrows “And you’ve got time for a vacation?” “Well… you see I’m the economic of us and Sarah’s actually an architect so she’s in charge of renovating and decorating as long as she keeps within the budget” “And does she?” Ben asked curiously. “Mostly, I hope to keep the prices down by using some of my own photos from my trip as artwork” Meg confessed “I’d like to see that” Ben said. “Well you could always come back with me to the hotel now” Meg offered. “I guess I could, but I would really like to get back to my hotel and take a shower, maybe I can come when I’m done?” “Sure” Meg said and described what hotel she was staying at “It’s an apartment hotel” she said “More or less total privacy” Ben said “Yes, I like that especially since I’ve been cruising the Mediterranean and was stuck on a boat for two weeks, all inclusive is nice but I also like to have a choice of going out for dinner if I want to” she felt she was babbling on “All inclusive can be nice, but it has to be in a place that doesn’t have so many good restaurants around. I’ve found a few great places here” Ben said and waved for the waiter and asked for the bill. After he paid they left and agreed on meeting up in about an hour.

Meg figured she had enough time to take a shower herself and get the computer ready to show Ben the photos. Ben went back to his hotel, quickly showered and got dressed. He then headed down to the store on the corner of his hotel. He picked out a bottle of wine and then went onto the fruits. His mother had thought him never to show up empty handed at a first visit. She had never said it had to be done at a vacation, but somehow it felt right. 15 minutes early he knocked on Meg’s door. “Coming” he heard Meg call “Oh, it’s you, you’re early” “Sorry” Ben smiled and bent down to kiss her cheek and then handed her a basket. “You didn’t have to” Meg said “I wanted to” Ben answered and Meg let him in. “It’s a very big place” Meg said and took out two glasses from the cupboard in the little kitchen. “Will you do the honors?” she asked and handed him a corkscrew. “I don’t need that” Ben said and Meg laughed “I’ve still got to get used to many winemakers not using corks yet” Ben poured the wine and handed Meg one of the glasses. Meg motioned towards the sofa “Why don’t we sit down, I’ve prepared the file with the photos” Meg put her glass down beside her laptop where she also kept a notepad and pen “I’m trying to decide what photos to use, it’s not easy” Ben smiled at her “Are you self critic or uncertain what other people may think” Meg looked at him “I guess a bit of both, some photos feel to personal but in the same time I love them and want to share them with the world” “Are you going to let me see?” Ben asked “Sure” Meg said and clicked the file.

“You’ve really been on a long trip” Ben said as he saw photos from places like Paris, Berlin and Barcelona “Yes, it was a long coming vacation” Meg agreed “Ever been to England?” “No” Meg shook her head “I guess that has to wait for the next trip as I have to go home in a few days” “Well if you ever go, let me know and I can give you a few pointers on what to see and what to avoid” “I will” Meg said and as a strain of her hair fell forward Ben pulled it back behind her ear and stroke her cheek softly. Meg turned her head with a surprised look in her eyes “Sorry” Ben said “I didn’t mean to startle you like that” “Don’t worry, it’s just been a long time” Meg turned towards Ben. He put his hands around her face and softly kissed her.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment