Thursday, April 26, 2012

Started with a chat 15


~Chapter fifteen~

A couple of weeks after Ben and Meg had been to the cottage it was Thanksgiving, first Meg had thought she’d go home, but it was no chance for it. Well there were but she wanted to be a part of the Thanksgiving in Sunset Beach where almost everyone helped out and served turkey to those who couldn’t afford their own, if they were homeless, runaways or just didn’t have the money to spend there were no difference, everyone was welcome. In the evening Ben and Meg was invited to his aunt and even though it was Rose, their maid, who had done most of the cooking this time Meg had asked if she could make dessert and Olivia had been more than welcoming to the idea. It wasn’t like they met or talked often but a few times and Meg really liked her. Bette and her daughter Emily were to join them all too¸ of course Caitlin and Sean were coming back from college as well. What Meg hadn’t told anyone though was that this year her birthday was the same day, not even Ben. She had gotten a call from her mother in the morning and since she hadn’t been able to come home she had promised that she’d come for Christmas.

As Ben and Meg had gone by the Deep on their way over they were arriving last of them all “Before we go inside I’ve got something for you” Ben said and reached for the glove compartment. He took out a long velvet box “What’s this?” Meg asked “It’s your birthday present” Ben kissed her cheek “Happy Birthday my love” Meg turned and looked at him “But… how?” she knew she hadn’t told a soul “It’s in your employment papers” Ben looked at her as she opened it. It was a simple gold chain with a diamond hanging on it “It’s absolutely gorgeous Ben, thank you” she leant forward and kissed him. Ben took it out of the box “Let me put it on” and Meg turned in her seat and held her hair to the side. Ben couldn’t resist nibbling on her neck. Meg reached for the door “Come on now, we’re already late” she said and Ben laughed as he got out of the car “Spoilsport” Meg took the dessert pies she had made out of the backseat “I think I know where you would like to spend most of Thanksgiving Mr. Evans” she shook her head “Can you blame me?” Ben grinned, it wasn’t many nights they spent apart, Ben had almost moved out of Surf Central. There were still a few weeks before the house would be livable, but they hoped that they’d move in before New Year’s. Meg rang the doorbell as they stood in front of the door and Bette came to open it “Oh it’s Muffin and Big Guy” she called them by her own special nicknames. “Happy Thanksgiving Bette” Meg said and went thru to the living room “Happy Thanksgiving everyone” she said and Ben came right behind and said the same. Gregory offered them some pre dinner drinks and soon it was time to sit down and eat. They had all met earlier in the day so they were talking about this year’s event and that it had been just as successful as usually. This time Ben and Meg wasn’t sitting side by side but opposite each other and Ben had a hard time keeping his eyes off her, even when he was talking to someone else. Bette didn’t miss a thing and since she sat next to Meg she leant forward “Do you know how happy you’ve made him?” she pointed to Ben “As happy as he’s made me I hope” Meg answered, she had learnt to choose her words when it came to Bette. “I’ve known Ben since he came to Sunset Beach and he was somewhat happy with Maria, but not the kind of happiness he’s found with you” Meg smiled “I think I know what you mean” “You know what Meg?” Bette asked and Meg shook her head “I’ll bet he’ll pop the question before New Year’s” Meg blushed. It had all gone so fast, it was barely 2 months since they first met, and just a couple of weeks more since they chatted in that chat room for the first time. “So Meg, how does it feel celebrating a big holiday away from your family?” Olivia asked “I remember my first Christmas here, it felt so strange with the heat and it was just me and Gregory in our little apartment” she told “I talked to my mom this morning, she rang. I guess it’s ok, I’ve been busy all day and I’ve got all my great friends and Ben and his family” she answered “Although I doubt I’ll be able to make Christmas here, I think I have to go home then” Bette who never was afraid to ask questions and was interested in people’s lives asked “So Meg, who is your family, do you have any brothers and sisters?” “One of each” Meg answered “My sister Sara’s an intern in Washington, but since I moved here and have e-mailed her pictures I wonder if she won’t come here too. At least I hope I can lure her here for New Year’s” “Oh, another newcomer” Bette put a hand to her forehead and pretended it was hard work “Bette don’t you worry, you don’t have to write about her” Meg teased. “What about your brother?” Bette asked curiously “Well he’s married to one of my best friends Susan and they’re expecting their first child in the beginning of the year” Bette rolled her eyes “So much happening in your life right now” Meg just laughed and shook her head “I don’t think your readers will be wanting to read about things that happens in Kansas” Bette looked over at Ben “That depends on what things are happening in Kansas”

The evening went along fine and after they had had coffee Ben called them a cab, he felt he had had one too many drink and didn’t want to drive. Ben and Meg said their goodbyes and in the cab Ben asked the driver to take them to Meg’s place “So, what was it really that Bette said that made you blush?” he asked Meg. “Nothing really” Meg just shook her head “I guess it was just Bette being Bette” The cab stopped outside the Waffle shop and Ben and Meg got out “Happy Thanksgiving” Ben said to the driver and tipped him well before he put his arm around Meg’s shoulders and they walked inside “I feel like a cup of coffee” Meg said as they arrived in her room “Do you want some?” “Sure” Ben sat down “I think I ate too much, I don’t know why I always do that at Thanksgiving” Meg laughed “I don’t know if anyone know why” she started the coffee machine “So, I’ve got a question for you Ben” she walked around the counter and stood in front of him with her arms around his neck. Ben put his hands on her waist and pulled her closer “Anything for the birthday girl” he nibbled her neck “I don’t know why you didn’t want to celebrate it” he whispered as his lips wandered “It’s not a big deal, today’s big deal was the dinner we arrange for all those who needed it” Meg said “But that was not what I was going to talk about” “So what was it?” Ben asked “I was thinking…” Meg started “Maybe you….” She didn’t know why she suddenly was nervous, she was about to walk away but Ben held onto her arm “Why don’t you just tell me what it is” he said “Ok, I was just wanting to ask if you’d come home to Kansas with me for Christmas, I mean we’ve not known each other that long and I don’t blame you if you don’t want to come” Meg rambled on so Ben had to shut her up with a kiss “Calm down Meg, I’d love to come with you” he said “The only thing is that I need to be back here by boxing day so it won’t be a very long stay” Ben had always had a big Christmas Party at the Deep on boxing day. Meg took a deep breath “Maybe we could go a few days before Christmas, or I’ll go and you come after” Holding Meg close to him Ben said “Why don’t we wait with the final plans a bit and concentrate on finishing off your birthday” he reached for his jacket and took out a smaller more square box “I’ve got another gift for you” Meg didn’t believe her eyes, was Bette right after all, was he going too? “Ben, you spoil me, I don’t need anything else” “I think you do” Ben said and handed her the box “I think these will match” Meg took the box and opened it. Inside was a pair of earrings in the same shape at the pendant in her necklace “Oh Ben, they’re lovely… but really they’re too much, and too expensive for me to accept” “Don’t be so stubborn Meg. If I couldn’t afford buying you expensive gifts I wouldn’t” As Meg stood to pour the coffee Ben got up “I don’t want to argue with you Meg. I love you and I only wants the best for you” “I love you too Ben” Meg said “By the way, I drove by a yard sale the other day and thought we’d go there and see if we could find something for the house” They moved over and sat down in the sofa to watch a movie on TV “Meg you know we don’t have to buy second hand stuff” Ben said “I know, you’ve told me when I first mentioned that I wanted to help out paying for the furniture, but I thought that maybe I could find an old desk or something for the upstairs office” Ben smiled at her “Well that could be nice” Meg’s phone rang and Ben who sat closest to the side table took it. When he looked at the caller id he decided to answer it “This is Meg’s phone, Ben speaking” Meg tried to reach for it but Ben didn’t budge “Hi Meg’s sister; Sarah” he said as the caller introduced herself “Yes, it’s nice to meet you too” Meg only heard Ben’s side of the conversation. She had given up on trying to get the phone of Ben, now it was only to hope Sarah wasn’t too embarrassing, she had always been the more out spoken of the sisters. “Yes Sarah, I know what day it is today… besides Thanksgiving” “Here she is, nice talking to you” Ben said and handed the phone to Meg “It’s your sister Sarah” he said at the same time he got up to pour some more coffee. “Wow Meg, he sounds sexy, that deep English voice, you just HAVE to send me a photo of him” Sarah started “Hi to you too Sarah” “Oh, happy birthday sis” “Thank you” Meg answered “I guess I have to don’t I?” “So, how’s Kansas today?” Meg asked “Good according to mom, I couldn’t make it. We had a charity thing for Thanksgiving” “Oh, no wonder mom sounded a bit off this morning when she called, but you’re coming for Christmas don’t you?” “Of course I am” Sarah answered “Then I’m moving away from Washington” she announced “Oh, what’s happened?” Meg asked “I was offered to go back to California with the group I’m working with”  “Wow, that’s great we both will be Californian’s” “I actually went with them over the day to L.A this Tuesday but it was a bit spur of the moment” “Oh, fun, but sad anyway I could have come” “Well we only looked at apartments, office and stuff so it wasn’t much fun, although I would have loved to see my sister” “Well there will be better times ahead” Meg said cheerful “Well I better go, I just wanted to wish you happy birthday before this Thursday turned into Friday” Sarah said “IT was nice to talk to you Sarah, I love you” Meg finished of the call.

“So, that was your sister” Ben said “Yes it was and you knew that’s why you answered” Meg teased “Well I have to meet your family sooner or later, I mean I’ve brought you along to meet mine” he said softly “Do you miss them?” Meg asked “Your parents?” Ben looked at her “Sometimes, not as much at Thanksgiving as I do around Christmas” Meg snuggled closer to Ben “I can’t imagine not having mom and dad around at all” “You never get over it, but it gets easier with time. I was lucky to have Gregory and Olivia here in Sunset Beach to help me with everything” Meg kissed his cheek “And now I’m here with you, never forget that” Ben took a soft hold of her chin “Never” he kissed her softly. “Let’s get to bed” Ben suggested and turned the TV off since they didn’t watch it anyways.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2012-

No comments:

Post a Comment