Thursday, April 26, 2012

Started with a chat 14


~Chapter fourteen~

Meg didn’t believe her eyes when she read the morning paper at the Java Web “Can she write this?” she asked Ben who was in to pick up some papers for the book keeping “Well” he shrugged his shoulders “We’re used to it by now and she’s never wrote anything that isn’t the truth, it’s happened a time or two that she’s taken the story ahead” Meg pointed to the column “Like this about us moving into the house together?” she asked “Kind of, she’s not really saying that straight out, just hints it” Ben swore to himself as he realized he hadn’t gotten all things together “What’s wrong?” Meg asked “Oh, it’s this bloody paper work, I can’t help it but I just hate checking numbers” Meg put a hand on his arm “Just in case, I’ve got a degree in economics and I’m pretty used to checking numbers and doing book keeping” Ben kissed her cheek “You’re amazing Meg, but I can’t have you doing the books as well, you’ll never have any time over” “You mean spare time? What do I need that for?” Meg teased “I’m working days and my boyfriend or whatever he is working nights so I really don’t need any spare time” With a sparkle in his eyes he looked at her “Oh so you’ve got a boyfriend do you, and here I was thinking you came back just to work for me” it was an unusual quite Monday morning at the Java Web, the only ones in were a couple of tourists who sat at the computers checking their mails. “Seriously Ben, if you need help I can do it” Meg smiled at him “I will keep that in mind and I can promise that when Roger’s well and back to work I’ll spend a full evening with you, take you out to dinner and maybe a movie if you want to” Ben said “I’ll hold you to that Ben Evans, but you know we’re not in any hurry” that made Ben look at his watch “But I am, that’s why I was picking up the papers, I’ve got a meeting with Gregory and then I’m going straight to the Deep” he lent forward and kissed her softly on the lips “If there’s anything you need to ask just call me, or you can call the Deep Mark’s there to set up” “Ok” Meg said and watched Ben leave.

The next two weeks were really busy Ben and Meg spent a lot of time in the house both working themselves and with overseeing the workers doing the jobs they couldn’t do themselves. It was Thursday afternoon and Ben had just arrived at the house “Meg?” he called “I’m upstairs” she answered. Ben took the stairs two steps a time and found her in the room they’ve decided to turn into a home office. They had been painting the roof there last night and now Meg was working on the walls. Three of them they were painting and the fourth they had ordered a photo-wallpaper with motif of Venice on. “Hi there” Ben strolled over and kissed her “It really looks great in here” he looked around and ended back looking at Meg who was smiling “I think so too and then with Venice all over that wall” she pointed with the roller and it splashed some color in Ben’s face “Oh, I’m so sorry” she pulled the rag she had in the back pocket and started to wipe it off. “Just leave it” Ben said and pulled Meg close for another kiss “I’ve missed you Meg” he whispered to her lips. He had a plan for the weekend but he wanted to surprise Meg about it. There were no workers coming tomorrow and then it was Saturday and Sunday. He grabbed another roller and they worked side by side. “Meg” Ben started “I’ve made a few changes in the schedule at both the Java Web and the Deep” he said when they were almost done “Why’s that?” Meg said “Or shall I be worried that I’m late for work?” Ben grinned “No, not at all. I just wanted to take you away for the weekend” He held his arms around her waist “Would you like to come away with me?” he asked “It would be lovely, but what about working here? The workers who’s going to check on them?” there were still a bit with tiling the bathroom and kitchen to be done “I gave them tomorrow off, so why don’t you go home and pack” Ben said “Ok” Meg started to put lids on paint cans “I’ll do that” Ben took the lid of her hand “I’ll give you half an hour and then I’ll come and pick you up” he gently pushed her towards the door. It wasn’t until Meg arrived in her room she realized that she didn’t know what to pack so she called Ben on his cell-phone “Ben, you’re crazy we can’t just leave like this” Ben laughed in her ear “Sure we can, it’s all set” he said “But I don’t know what to pack” Meg went on “If you look on the kitchen counter you’ll find a note” Ben quickly hung up and when Meg tried to call him back he didn’t answer. He had gotten Gaby to put the note there. He was planning on taking her to a very special place where they could just as easily go on hikes as dress up and get into town for dinner so on the note he had written that Meg was going to pack for both things. Meg rushed around, jeans and stuff wasn’t so hard to pack, but what to pack for fancy dinner? Just as Meg was rumbling in her drawers she came across a short sexy negligee that she had bought before she came back to Sunset Beach. She and Ben hadn’t spent that many nights together lately and she thought it was just the right time to use that negligee now.

After having picked Meg up Ben steered his car out of town towards the dessert. Meg enjoyed the ride and the change of scenery “It’s been a while since I saw open spaces like this” she said and went on “I’ve always been a country girl and Ludlow isn’t much of a town” “So are you saying you don’t like living in a town?” Ben asked worried, not that he could have any trouble to sell if it came to that, but he loved the closeness that Sunset Beach brought. “I could say so far so good” Meg answered “And with the beach and ocean just outside the window I will probably never want to live anywhere else” she put her hand on Ben’s thigh “So Mr Evans, where are you taking me?” Quickly Ben glanced at Meg “That’s for me to know and you to find out” They hadn’t even been driving for an hour when Ben turned right and onto a small graveled road. It looked a bit like a forest now and just before Meg was to open her mouth and ask Ben again where they were heading he turned right into a clearing and a little house stood in front of them. “Ben, it’s totally amazing, how on earth did you get your hands on this for the weekend?” Meg asked and got out of the car. She took a deep breath “I just love the smell of nature” she said. Ben had grabbed their bags and was now finding the right key in his keychain. He opened the door to let Meg inside “Welcome to my hide-away” he said “Your hide-away?” “Yes” Ben said “Do you own it?” With a sad expression on his face he said “I inherited it from my parents” “So your parents had this here, did you come often?” Meg asked and Ben shook his head “I didn’t remember it and was surprised when Olivia and Gregory took me here the first time. I guess I was still in Sunset Beach with my cousins when mom and dad went here” Meg put her arms around Ben and hugged him tight. “Did they live a busy life, your parents?” she asked and Ben shrugged his shoulders “I mean this place just feels so tranquil, it must be very calming to come here” “Yes it is” Ben said “I’ve always liked coming here for a day or two just to catch up with myself” Surprise Meg turned around “Alone?” he nodded “Maria wasn’t much for the nature” Meg smiled at him “But I am and a cup of coffee just taste so great sitting outside, please tell me we can fix us some coffee?”  “Of course we can, I’ve got some groceries in the car, I’ll go get it and you can unpack if you like” he pointed to a door, the bedroom was separate; the rest of the cottage was the combined living room and kitchen. Meg looked around a bit; there were some amazing art and especially a painting of the ocean. She stood mesmerized in front of it when Ben came back inside “I had forgotten about that one” he said “It’s lovely” Meg said quietly and took a step closer “Who’s the artist?” she asked as she couldn’t find a signature “It’s one of Maria’s, she gave it to me on our first anniversary” Ben reached for it “Please don’t Ben, I like it and believe it or not but I don’t blame you for having a past” he looked at her “You’re amazing Meg Cummings don’t your ever forget that” he kissed her and when they broke the kiss Meg smiled at him “I’m also in a big need of that coffee, someone changed all my plans for today and I never got any this afternoon” cheekily Ben grinned “Coffee Mr Evans… get your mind out of the gutter”

Ben and Meg sat for a long time in the garden just talking and enjoying this quiet time “So Meg do you fancy dressing up and go for dinner in town or shall we just fire up the bbq?” Ben asked as his stomach had reminded him of not having eaten since breakfast. He had been too excited to take Meg away and too busy to arrange it all. Meg was sitting back in the chair with her legs on another “I vote for bbq, I’m too lazy to do much tonight” Ben got up and kissed her “Ok, you just sit back and relax” “I can live with that” she said and closed her eyes, it was still sunny and warm outside. Ben laughed as he went inside ‘How great life is’ he thought. As he returned to prepare the grill he had brought Meg a glass of wine “Mmm” she said as she zipped it “This is really great, I can’t put my finger on it but it’s familiar” Ben smiled “It’s same wine you had your first evening in Sunset Beach, I went by the Deep and picked some bottles up” “You’re so thoughtful” said Meg “I love you” Ben turned his head and met Meg’s gaze “I love you too”
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2012-

No comments:

Post a Comment