Sunday, March 18, 2012

Started with a chat 08

~Chapter eight~


Back home in Kansas Meg was busy, but not busier than she had time to call Ben in the evening. She had texted him when she landed because she didn’t want him to talk on the phone if he still was in the car. Her first order of business, after she had arrived at the farm, was to see the priest and apologize, she had made a long list of what to do on the plane. After she got back to the farm again she went thru all the presents to send back with a note again apologizing. Sunday morning after church and farm chores she decided to clean out her closet, the clothes there wasn’t anything she’d want to take back to California and for visits on the farm it was enough to have some spare jeans and working shirts. She gathered it all up in boxes and bags to take to the annual church sale/swap thing that was to be the next weekend. She had stupidly signed up for helping out so she knew she wouldn’t get out of it, which meant that it would take at least a week before she could go back to Sunset Beach. In the middle of the cleaning out she sat down to see if Ben was online but he wasn’t.

First thing Monday morning she went into the boss’ office and handed in her notice “I hate to see you go Meg, you’ve been very valuable to me” Meg smiled “I’ve loved working here, but with all that’s happened I really want to make a new start in California” “Can I at least persuade you to stay this week and maybe next” He looked a bit desperate and Meg had a hard time to say no “This week definitely, I was actually thinking of taking my last week of vacation the next week, but if you need me I’ll stay” the boss smiled “As I said valuable and very loyal, I’ll write you up some nice references as I don’t think you can live in California without working” “That will be nice, thanks. I have a job as a waitress on hold there, but maybe I’d like to do something else so it can be needed”

After having been released by Mark Ben went to the store to get color and wallpaper samples, he really wanted Meg to be in his life so when she came back he wanted to have everything ready for them to choose together. The rest of the afternoon he spent upstairs in the house tearing down old wallpaper and preparing other stuff. It felt refreshing to work with his hands like this. Suddenly he heard the doorbell and wondered who it could be, not many people knew he had bought the house. He ran down the stairs and opened the door “Hey buddy, want some help?” It was Casey who was dressed in faded jeans and an old t-shirt “I’ve got some beer too” he held up a six-pack. Ben just laughed “You know me too well, you don’t happen to have any food too, I’m starving” he hadn’t noticed it before “Nah” Casey shook his head “But we can call for Chinese” “Sounds great” Ben agreed and took out his cell phone to call “So, is this therapy?” Casey asked and Ben shook his head “Nope, this is a fresh start, I’ll let Maria have the old house and I don’t want to bulk with you forever” “Well we’ve got a full house and so far we don’t mind, but it’s up to you of course” Ben nodded towards the stairs “Come on, let me show you around” After walking around the house they came back downstairs just in time as the delivery guy rang the doorbell. “So where shall we sit, do you have anything here at all?” Casey teased and was surprised when Ben took out two folding chairs and a folding table “Hey!” Casey looked at Ben “What’s going on buddy, you’ve got something going on?” as the picnic basket was still on the floor next to where the chairs and table had been. Ben shrugged his shoulders “I thought I’d see you mope around for years, come on tell me” Casey pushed “Well I don’t know what will happen yet” was all Ben said “Ben you seem to have forgotten that besides yourself I’m the one that knows you the best. I can see there’s something going on and… wait, it’s MEG!” Ben couldn’t help but smile “Have you convinced her to come back?” “Well it didn’t take much convincing” Ben nodded towards a suitcase “She left that one in my car” Meg had decided that she shouldn’t bring her new clothes home, she wouldn’t have any need for them anyways. “In your car?” Casey was surprised “Yep, I drove her down to L.A last night” Ben said “And I never thought it would be anyone but you and Maria” Casey said “Well that was the plan wasn’t it?”

The week ran fast and just before lunch Meg was called into the office by her boss “I just wanted to ask if you could stay on at least a few days next week, I’ve found a new girl for your position, but I want her to get the hang of our office” Meg was impatient to get back to Sunset Beach but she couldn’t say no “Sure, is it ok with Wednesday being my last day?” her boss nodded “Great” Meg couldn’t help but smile broadly “I guess you don’t just have a job to get back to, do you?” he asked “No, some new great friends as well” Meg started to walk out but turned in the door “Anything else or I can go for lunch?” she had made plans with an old friend from school who she saw from time to time for lunch. “No Meg, you go on” she checked so the computer wasn’t on and picked her purse up and then rushed out. She was actually running a bit late. She arrived at the restaurant 10 minutes later than planned “Sorry Susan” she hugged her friend who got up as she came over to the table “Wow” Meg said “You’re starting to show now” her friend was pregnant with her first baby “Yeah” she said and patted her stomach “Since you ran late I ordered our usual, is that ok?” Susan said “Of course it is” she sipped her water “I will miss these get-togethers” “But Meg, there will be plenty more times before I have the baby” Susan said “Oh sorry” Meg started “I’ve not yet told you, I’m going back to California next weekend, probably for keeps” “That’s great, I guess after Tim you do deserve to get away” “I certainly do” Meg said “So, time to spill the gossip, what was it like in California and what is it that makes you go back?” Meg told Susan everything up to the fact that Ben had given her the ride to the airport “By the sound of it he will be there to pick you up too” Meg smiled “I guess, although it can be he’s busy, I’ve never met anyone that has so many businesses that as equally successful” her friend laughed teasingly “Sounds like a good catch” They finished off their meal and decided to meet up on Wednesday again. Meg went back to the office and she was happy it was weekend.

Ben sat in his office at the Deep with the paper work, he really hated this side of the business, but again he wanted full control so he didn’t want anyone else doing it for him. He picked up his cellphone and looked Megs number up, they hadn’t really spoken this past week, mostly e-mailed and chatted a couple of times. Ben hadn’t known he could feel this way, he was really missing her and now he just had to hear her voice. On the fifth signal Meg finally reached her phone, she had just gotten out of the shower “It’s Meg” she said out of breath “Did I catch you at a bad time?” Ben asked and Meg smiled “Not at all, I just came from the shower” “So, how have you been?” “Busy” Meg answered “I did tell you about the church sale tomorrow that I need to help out at, well I’ve been there all evenings preparing but now we’re finally done” “That sounds nice” Ben said “Would be nicer to be in Sunset Beach” Meg said back “Oh yeah! I agree on that” “So how are things in Sunset Beach, besides warm and sunny?” Meg asked “It’s ok, I miss you though” the tone of Ben’s voice made Meg all warm inside “I miss you too, I hope I can be back next weekend” she said “Are you sure?” Ben asked “I finish work on Wednesday and then I want to spend a day at least with my parents but I’ll try and get a flight out on Friday” Ben smiled to himself “Just let me know what time you come and I’ll be there to pick you up” “You don’t have to Ben, I can take the shuttle” and Ben sighed “Don’t you think I know that, I’m coming because I want to” “Well to be honest, I much rather spend the trip to Sunset Beach with you than with strangers on a shuttle” There was a knock on Ben’s door and when he saw it was Mark he waved for him to come inside “Mark just turned up Meg, I’ll talk to you later ok?” Meg felt a bit sad, but it wasn’t cheap with long distance calls “Of course, I might even be online late tonight” she said and went on “I miss you” “I miss you too” Ben said not bothering Mark heard him and hung up “Good evening Mark, can I help you with something” “Good evening, I just wanted to let you know I was here and then check if I can have next Saturday evening off, Olivia’s offered me to do a program on the radio” Ben checked the calendar on his desk and picked a pen up “Sure you can, but I need a favor in return” “You name it” Mark said “I need you to cover for me on Friday, I will probably go to L.A. and pick Meg up” Mark grinned “So there is something between you two, I tried to pry it out of Casey, but he wouldn’t tell” Ben shook his head “I hope you do the same, my divorce isn’t final and I want it to go forward on my terms” Mark nodded “Sure Ben, my lips are sealed. I better get back downstairs” he said “I’ll be down when I’m done with some paperwork” Ben said as Mark left the office.

Meg got dressed and went downstairs where she found her parents in the living room “There’s some dinner on a plate in the fridge for you” Joan said “Thanks mom, I’m starving” Joan looked worried at her daughter “No mom, I didn’t skip lunch, it was just a lot of work in the city hall” Meg went back to the kitchen to reheat her dinner. As the news had ended Joan also came into the kitchen and sat down with Meg “That sale has certainly kept you busy, I’ve not had much time to talk to you since you got back” she said “I want to know about California, was it the adventure you thought it would be?” Meg smiled “It was so much more mom. As I let you know I ended up in this small town called Sunset Beach, I’ve never been anywhere more beautiful than that. It was amazing, the sun was warm and nice, the beach lovely and the people just amazing” “It does sound lovely, but are you really sure you want to start a new life all the way out there” “Yes mom, I’ve never been more sure about anything” Meg looked at her mother “I know it sounds unbelievable, but I’ve got friends and a job there already” “Do you have a place to stay, you can’t afford that hotel for long” Joan asked worried “Gaby and her sister Paula both offered to put me up so I think it will sort itself out” Joan got up and started the coffee machine “And that young man, what was his name?” “Ben” Meg filled in all too quickly “Ben yes, what can you tell me about him?” Meg told the story about them chatting and then just the evening before she left had been the first time they both known about each other “You never knew?” Joan asked surprised “Nope, not a clue, but Ben did figure it out, but was cut off from telling me at a few times” a bit worried Joan looked at Meg “Will you move in with him?” she asked “No” Meg shook her head “I did tell you he’s divorcing his wife and besides I don’t want to hurry anything” she finished her dinner “I’ll miss your cooking mom” she said “Well you’re welcome back anytime, just get on that plane and come home if you need to” as Meg had gotten up to wash her glass and plate she went over and hugged her mother “I know mom although I don’t think I will have to”

___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2012-

No comments:

Post a Comment