Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Starting over Chapter 30

Chapter thirty

“And what makes you think we’re interested?” It was actually Ben and not Derek who said it “Do you know what we had to go thru, first with your death and then settling everything with aunt Louise’s estate” “I know you probably don’t believe me, but I really am sorry about that” she took a deep breath “Have you gotten the deeds for the house back yet?” Fiona asked “No” Ben answered and saw Meg getting up “This was in the mail today” she took what looked like a legal envelope from the side table at the door. “Ben, before you open it, there’s something I need to tell you” Ben’s eyes got darker, he suspected what was coming and didn’t like it at all “Don’t tell us that you first put us thru all what we’ve talked about and now you bought the estate yourself?” he threw the papers down in front of Derek “You can deal with this, I’m out of here” Ben grabbed his keys and walked out the front door. “Ben! Please don’t go” Fiona got up and just managed to grab his arm before he walked out “Ben, we need to talk about this. I know it’s my fault” furious Ben turned around “Yes you’re right about that, but I’m not interested” he shook himself loose and left. Meg who was still standing walked over to Fiona “I think we need to let him cool down” They sat down again and while Derek opened the papers Del told them that it actually was he who had bought the estate as a wedding present for Fiona.

Ben was in a foul mood when he reached the Deep, he unlocked the door and went inside and straight to his office. He took out a bottle of whiskey and a glass and sat down at his desk. It was a long time ago he had wanted to solve a problem with a glass of whiskey. He poured a glass but let it stand on the table in front of him. He was so frustrated that he didn’t know what to do. He left the office and went downstairs into the wine cellar but not even there he could find any peace. Although he stayed there, with his whiskey glass still untouched and Meg found him there an hour after he had stormed out of the house. “Can we talk?” Meg stood in the door and Ben looked up shrugging his shoulders “There’s not anything to talk about” “Oh yes Ben there is” she walked down the few steps “I agree it wasn’t fair of Fiona to do all of this, but you didn’t stay around to hear about how Del did everything to get the estate as a wedding present for your mother” Ben shook his head “I don’t think I ever will be able to forgive them for that, or for keeping Annie away for all those years. I mean I’ve not seen my father since I was 10” Meg sat down next to him “But you have to understand Fiona too, she didn’t want to put Annie thru what you both had to go thru and Annie not being your father’s child probably would have made it even worse” “Meg, it’s not that I don’t understand. I’m just so hurt by her behavior” he reached for the glass but just held it “Have you had many of those” Meg nodded towards the glass “Not that it’s any of your business, but no, this is the first one and I’m not having this one” he said stood up and threw the glass in the wall “Ben!” he stood with his back to Meg “Meg, just go and let me be” she took a step closer “I’m warning you Meg. I’m no good company like this” she took another step and one more and was just behind him. She put her arms around his waist “Ben, I’m not going anywhere, I’m here for you. You should know that by now” Ben turned around and took her by her shoulders “Meg, I’m not used to this, to people, women especially to be caring about me like you do” Meg stood on her tiptoes and reached for his face “But I am here and I care so just get used to it” then she kissed him. The kiss grew deeper and hotter and if it hadn’t been for Mark coming downstairs to fill up the bar who know where it may have led.

The day before Fiona, Del and Annie was about to leave they were all gathered at Ben and Meg’s for dinner. Joan had come too for the weekend. Sarah and Derek had had their baby-girl just a few days ago, about two week’s early. Everyone was cooing over her where she was laying in her pram, according to Sarah, finally sleeping. “Have you decided on a name yet?” it was Joan who asked as they sat down to eat. Sarah shook her head “No” “No?” Ben said and looked at his brother “You have made all other decisions this past year quickly” he was teasing them. “Well, I want to name her Louise after our aunt, but Sarah don’t” Sarah gave him a look “Would you like your family to see your daughter and think of an old aunt, I don’t really think so” Joan put a hand on Sarah’s “Take your time, a name isn’t easy to come up with” Sarah smiled at her mother “How did you and dad decide?” “Well it wasn’t easy, we had many suggestions brought to us and then we came up with a few ourselves, especially for you Sarah, I don’t really remember why we decided on Sarah, but when it came up we felt it suited you so we decided on it” “I remember” Fiona started “That it was hard to come up with names for the boys, but Annie I knew at once I wanted my baby girl to be named” she looked around. “So Annie, what will you do when you get back?” Meg asked “I’m not sure yet, the best would be to find a job” she had been at the Deep almost every evening so Meg had gotten to know her pretty well “If you don’t find anything come here, there must be something for you at the hotel and you can get to know your brothers a bit more” Annie smiled at her “You’re too kind Meg, I might take you up on that offer” “And you don’t have to worry about where to live, there’s always room at Surf Central” “That’s where Casey and some of the other lifeguards are staying too isn’t it?” “Yes, Casey is kind of looking after the house for us” Meg said “Maybe we could put you up here in the spare-room if you come” Ben suggested and Meg saw he had that protective look in his eyes. Annie had at least gotten under his skin in a good way, it was really his mother he was crossed with. “Don’t you listen to Ben, of course you’re welcome to stay here, but Casey is one of the good guys and I trust him completely” “I’ll see what I’ll do” Annie made half a promise to come back soon. The rest of dinner went on and before everyone knew it, it was time for the Douglas to leave. Joan left with Sarah and Derek, she had been staying there to help out a bit. She too soon had to leave but wanted to spend as much time as possible with her granddaughter but before she was going back to Kansas she was to go with Meg to LA to look at wedding dresses.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach, any other soaps/series and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010-

No comments:

Post a Comment