Thursday, December 1, 2011

Starting over Chapter 28

Chapter twenty eight

Meg left her roses with her parents when she and Ben went back to Sunset Beach the following Tuesday. As much as she had been enjoying being ‘home’, she was happy to return. She longed to get back to work. “Something bothering you?” Ben asked “No” Meg shook her head “I just long to be home” Ben looked at her “Home in Sunset Beach of course” she smiled “I didn’t think I’d miss it that much” she said. “Meg” Ben took her hand “I have to say it or I’ll go crazy. I think we should talk when we get home. I’m not sure we got it all sorted Valentine’s day” she shrugged her shoulders “There’s not much more to say, unless you’ve got some questions, but we’ll save it for home”. At that moment the pilot turned the fasten seat belt sign on and informed the passengers it was time to land. When they had landed and gotten their luggage it was close to noon so they stopped by the Java Web for some lunch and of course Ben took care of some business. After dropping of their bags Meg headed to the hotel to talk to Sarah and of course she too got straight into work. It was around ten p.m. when Meg finally got back home. She found Ben in the kitchen making some sandwiches “You’ve just arrived too?” she asked walking over for a kiss “Yeah, crazy isn’t it. Here we just got back from a week’s vacation and we both just throw ourselves into work” he smiled at her. He took her hand and lead her over to the stools at the other side of the kitchen island. “I know it’s been a long day for us both, but I want this over and done with. I know you said I could ask you anything if I was wondering and well I’ve been thinking a bit of this, mostly since you’ve been, well let’s say not really your usual happy self” he took a deep breath “You know, back then…” Meg looked up at him “When I had my miscarriage?” she asked “Yes, you didn’t suffer any harm did you, I mean I’d love for us to have our own kids more than anything, but if we for some reason can’t I’m not different to adopting. There are many kids out there that need good homes with loving parents” Meg leant forward and kissed him on the cheek before she took his hands “Ben, don’t you worry, to my knowledge there shouldn’t be any problems, but I’ve got my yearly examination coming up soon and I can ask to be sure” She got of the stool to get some cups for their coffee “Is there anything else you want to talk about in this subject, questions about me and John?” Ben shook his head “Then I really want us to close the subject and not bring it up again. To me this is something in the past that I probably wouldn’t have thought about if we hadn’t met John” Ben pulled her close for a hug “If you say so, but don’t go around thinking about it, please talk to me to instead” Meg smiled “How could I get to lucky to find such a nice and understandable man. I promise I’ll talk to you if I feel the need”

Spring came fast to Sunset Beach, the hotel had had a bit of down period between Valentine’s Day and Easter, but it was now back with all rooms booked at least for the weekends. Meg couldn’t really believe they had been so lucky already within their first year. It was now the beginning of May and Sarah had been ordered to cut down on work by the doctor or she’d have the baby early. Meg knew it was driving Sarah nuts staying home resting so she ordered a picnic basket at the Java Web and went to spend some time with her sister. She found Sarah sitting with her feet up and a sketch pad in her lap on the balcony. “Hey there” Meg said “I brought lunch” she showed off the basket “Great, I’m starving” Sarah put the pad down “What’s in it?” she asked curiously “A bit of this and that from the Java Web” Meg opened the basket and started to set the table. “What were you working on?” it was Meg’s turn to be curious, especially since Sarah had quickly put the pad upside down “Nothing really” Sarah answered and reached for some salad and out it on a plate, but Meg was quick. “Are you drawing a new house? Will you build a bigger house?” she asked when she saw the drawings. “Nah, we like this one. I was just bored. Maybe I can sell it to some architect” “I know you Sarah Evans, you’re not just bored, you and Derek’s have been looking at plots, haven’t you?” she looked her sister straight in the eyes and Sarah had never been able to lie to Meg. “I’ll tell only because you bring such lovely food” Sarah started to eat and told Meg all about the ideas and where to build if they decided to do so. Soon the conversation turned into work. “Oh by the way Sarah, do you know anyone in Scotland?” Sarah shook her head “No, why are you asking?” “There was this woman calling to book a hotel. She said she was from Scotland and asked if Sarah Evans was from Scotland or England” “What was her name?” Sarah asked “Annie… Annie Douglas” Meg said. “Can’t say it rings any bells, but Derek and Ben are from England, so maybe it’s some distant relative. Have you asked Ben about it?” Meg nodded “Sure, but he didn’t know anyone by that name either” “So, did she book a room?” Sarah asked “Yeah, arriving next weekend and staying for two weeks, maybe we’ll get an answer to the mystery then?” Meg took a sip of her drink.

The next weekend came, but neither Meg nor Sarah was at the hotel when Annie checked in. Annie was not travelling alone, she was going with her father Del and ‘mother’ Fiona. It had been almost two years now since her father had remarried. She loved Fiona like she was her real mother, although there was something sad about her that Annie never had found out. Something was strange with this trip though.

Sarah and Meg was busy decorating in Ben and Meg’s house. Today was Ben and Derek’s birthday, they were turning 32 this year. They had only invited their closest friends, but that was quite a big bunch of Sunset Beachers. “Ben” Meg called up the stairs “Are you finished? I need the shower too before the guests arrive” “Sorry” Ben walked out of his office “I’ve been working, but you can join me” he said and grinned “Hey Ben, no such talk in front of your niece or nephew” Sarah said “And you want me to believe that Derek never says stuff like that? I know my brother Sarah, you go home a bit and let me and Meg finish this” People started to dwell in around six and by seven the party was at full speed. The doorbell rang and Mark called out that he’d open it as he was closest to it. Outside stood a woman in her late 50’s “I’m looking for Ben Evans, this is his house isn’t it?” Mark nodded “Sure is, it’s his birthday today, let me see if I can find him, please come inside and wait here” he walked off to look for Ben who he found at the barbeque on the balcony “Hey Ben, there’s a lady at the door looking for you” “Who?” “I don’t know Ben, she just asked for you” “Ok then” Ben said and followed Mark but stopped in his steps. Mark noticed that he had stopped and looked at a shocked Ben “What’s wrong Ben?” “Find Derek and tell him to come to the kitchen”
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach, any other soaps/series and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010-

1 comment: