Saturday, September 25, 2010

Starting over chapter 17

Chapter seventeen

Monday morning Ben popped his head into Meg’s office “Hi there, you left before I was awake” he lent over the desk and kissed her. “Sorry, Simon called in sick this morning and I had to come take care of the front desk until the replacement could come” Ben put his head on the side “Does that mean you won’t be home tonight?” Meg shook her head “No, I still got the evening free. I don’t want to miss it since it’s the last one together I two weeks” Meg had a sad look in her eyes “Are you really sure you have to be away for two weeks Ben” “Yes I have. The funeral is on Thursday and then I have to stay for the house to be cleaned out and hopefully sold” Ben and Derek’s aunt had died during the weekend and since their mother wasn’t alive anymore and aunt Louise never had had any children Ben and Derek was to inherit everything from her. “I wish I could go with you, or even better we could send Derek and Sarah” Ben sat down on the corner of the desk “Me too Meg, but with Sarah and Derek off on their honey moon this was the best solution” “I know, I know” Meg said and stood up “The timing is bad, but these are the kind of things in life you can’t foresee” Ben pulled her into his arms “Can’t argue with that, but I will miss you” he placed his lips on hers “I will miss you too” Meg said. “I need to leave” Ben said when they parted “I’ve got to talk to both Gregory and Mark about some business” he walked to the door “But I’ll see you tonight, 6-ish, my place” he said “I’ll be there” Meg answered as he walked out “Where else should I be, I’ve not been much at my own place these last few days” she said to herself and sat down with a file. At least she wouldn’t have trouble filling her time, they had opened the hotel at the right time, lots of guests had already arrived and the bookings were solid thru to March. Meg looked at her annual calendar on her computer “Booked thru March, Sarah’s baby arriving in June…” she trailed off and sighed “I’m a lucky girl living in California, it’s almost always sunny for a nice wedding” she didn’t know when they were to plan it in.

Sarah and Derek had decided on driving down to Mexico for their honeymoon, just some lazy days at the beach and a trip or two for some sightseeing “Are you disappointed?” Derek asked “It’s just since Tuys said it was safer not to fly away I…” he didn’t finish his sentence. “That wasn’t exactly what he said Derek, but I love you for caring and I wouldn’t like for anything to happen to the baby” she took his hand as they were walking along the promenade towards a restaurant they had been recommended “I’m happy as long as I get to spend some time with you alone” she was referring to the busy time that had been right up until her and Meg was able to open the hotel. At the restaurant they were showed to a table where they could sit and look out over the ocean “What are you thinking about?” she asked Derek “Sorry” he took her hand and kissed it “I was just thinking about Ben and how he has to get away to England to take care of everything” Sarah smiled sweetly at him “Remember he said for you not to worry or think about him, he would see to it that it all got settled” “I know, but you don’t know how big the estate is Sarah, there are a lot of things to sort out” Derek began “Well I think Ben can do that, besides all furniture and stuff might be just what the new owner would like to have, you know” she said and shrugged her shoulders “To keep the house in the same state” Derek smiled “I’ve married the most wisely woman in the world”

Meg finished up her files and looked at the clock, it was already 6.30 and she was late. She didn’t know if she should call Ben to tell him she was on her way, but again it took about 3 minutes quick walk to get to his door. She rang the bell when she did arrive but no one came to answer. She looked for the key in her purse and when she found it opened the door and called “Ben, it’s only me” at the same time as she noticed the dark setting of the room, the only lights on were candles and she could hear the fire going “Ben” she called out again and saw him coming from the kitchen “Great, you’re here” he came over and greeted her with a kiss “Mmm, that taste good” Meg said “You’ve been cooking?” “Yep” he said shortly “I wanted it to be just perfect so I did it myself” He closed the door behind her and reached for something on the shelf by the door “I’ve got something for you” he handed her a black velvet box. Meg took it and pulled on the white ribbon keeping it closed “I saw this and thought of you, I want you to have one each week up until our wedding day” Meg opened the box and found a perfect pearl “that way you will have enough for a necklace to wear at the wedding” Meg was stunned, she looked up at Ben “Oh Ben, it’s perfect, you’re really spoiling me” she kissed him “But we’ve not set a date yet” Ben took her hand and led her over to the table where he pulled the chair out for her “I thought we’d do that before we eat, that way you can start planning” he kissed her on the top of her head and sat down next to her and presented a calendar filled with both their already set appointments. “This won’t be easy” Meg said “No, but what do you think about May?” Ben asked her “No, I want Sarah to be my maid of honor and she will be very pregnant in May as the baby’s due in the beginning of June” “I didn’t think of that” he smiled at her “So, how far after the baby’s born then?” “About two months or so… I mean if we want to get off on a honeymoon, Sarah must be able to at least put in a few hours each day at the hotel” Ben flipped the calendar. “Ok, September then” he suggested. “September would be lovely” Meg put her hand on his “What do you think about the 14th?” she pointed to a Saturday in the calendar and looked at Ben “Wouldn’t that be perfect?” Ben looked puzzled “Ben Evans, it’s the date when we first saw each other on the beach in Alcudia” he smiled at her “If that’s the day you want for us to get married I would love it” “I want it if you want it” Meg said back and they both laughed. Ben took out a pen and marked the date in the calendar “I guess we need to check with the church as well, but with this long time ahead I doubt there will be any problems” a kitchen timer rang “Just in time” Ben got up “Dinner’s just about ready” “Do you need help?” Meg asked “Not tonight, I’ve got it all prepared” he went to the kitchen to get the wine first. “This is really a coincidence” Ben said as he poured the wine “I bought this the day you and I was out on the trip together” he smiled at her “Very appropriate to toast us setting a date for our wedding, don’t you think?” “Yes it is” Meg smiled and tasted the wine “It really is good” “I’m happy you think so” Ben said and went to get the dinner “It’s nothing fancy, just a lasagna” he said when he returned “A homemade lasagna is never wrong, it’s been a long time since I last had it” Meg said and moved the wine bottle so that Ben could put the form down.

“Are you all packed and so?” Meg asked when they sat in the sofa sipping the last of the wine “Kind of” “What do you mean?” Meg asked and settled so she had Ben’s arms around her “Well…” he nuzzled her neck “I wish I could pack you too” “So charming, you want to sent me along with the cargo?” Meg teased him “Maybe not, but I wish you could come with me” “Me too, but it’s next to impossible so I better stay here and we can always e-mail each other” Ben pushed the shoulder of her shirt to the side “That’s possible, but I can’t do this in an e-mail” he kissed her down the shoulder and up again and then did the same on the other side. Meg moaned softly and turned around “I will really miss you Ben” she stood up and took his hands “Come upstairs and make love to me” Ben stood up and they walked away from the sofa, just before the stairs he picked her up in his arms and carried her up to his bedroom.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach, any other soaps/series and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment