Friday, July 2, 2010

Starting over chapter 09

Chapter nine

Meg turned around and smiled “Hi Ben, I was just telling mom and dad about you forbidding me to steal Mark to work at the hotel” Ben laughed “Well that’s true, he’s the star employee and I’d hate to lose him but he’s a free man and got a very strong will of his own” he praised him. “Nice to see you again Mr and Mrs Cummings” Ben shook hands with Hank and kissed Joan’s cheek “I hope you had a nice evening last night” “It was” Joan said “Although I was exhausted, it had been a long and emotional day” she admitted. “So, how do you find Sunset Beach?” Ben asked “Have you had a chance to look around yet?” “It’s nothing like our little town at home, but I quite like it. My girls have been doing a great job here so far” Hank said proudly. “They certainly have” Ben agreed “I went by the hotel on my morning run today and it looks fantastic, I never thought it would be a hotel again” He pointed towards a table “Why don’t you all sit down and let me buy you lunch” he offered “That’s nice of you but not necessary” Joan said “Well I insist” he said with a smile and guided them over and gave them menus. He pulled a chair for Joan first and then Meg and without letting anyone notice he stroke her arms and she was seated. Meg turned her head “Oh Ben I almost forgot, thank you so much for the roses how did you know they were my favorites?” Ben smiled “I didn’t but it felt right and you’re welcome” “Why don’t you join us?” Joan suggested “I’d like to, but unfortunately I have too much work to do, the joys of coming back from vacation” he said. “Enjoy lunch” he left them and went into his office “He’s such a gentleman, I just hope his brother’s the same” Joan said “Do you think we’ll get to see Sarah and Derek today?” she looked at Meg “I’ve not heard anything from Sarah but I hope we will” she answered and looked at the menu “The chicken looks nice” “I think I’d like an old fashioned burger” Hank chose “May I take your orders” Mark came to their table “Sure, I’ll have a burger” Hank said “And Meggie will have the chicken, what about you dear?” he asked Joan “I’ll have the chicken too” she smiled at Mark “And a glass of iced tea” “We got our own mix on the iced tea, would you like that all around?” “Sure” Hank and Meg said at the same time. “I’m always in for new experiences” Joan added. While they waited for their food Meg sent Sarah a text message telling her to call her.

“Who’s texting you?” Derek asked lazily from bed “Meg, she wants me to call her. I bet she and my parents wants us to come over to the house or something” Derek rested his head in the hand and looked at Sarah “Will there be a home cooked meal in the deal?” Sarah threw herself on the bed next to him “Is that all you think about” and Derek grinned “That and having hot steamy sex with my wife” he pulled her in for a kiss. “Oh Derek” Sarah moaned as he kissed her on that special spot on her neck.

Back at the Java Web Meg, Joan and Hank finished their lunch with a cup of coffee “So, would you like to do some more sightseeing?” Meg asked. Joan looked at Hank “I guess we’ll go back to the house, unless there is something you want to show us special” Meg shook her head “No, I was actually thinking about getting to the office and look thru some bills and things. We need to start interviewing our staff next week” Meg sighed “Gosh, there is so much to do, I really hope Sarah and Derek plans on having a late honeymoon, when we’ve opened I will be able to run the place by myself but hiring staff we said we’d do together” Hank put a hand on her arm and smiled “I don’t think Sarah will leave it to you, even though she’s always been a bit too impulsive for her own good” Joan got up “So Meg, I guess there isn’t much groceries in the house, why don’t Hank and I go shopping and we’ll cook dinner at home tonight. Tell Sarah and Derek to come when or if you talk to them” Hank too got up “And if you see Ben again ask him too, he’s after all Derek’s family” Joan added and hooked her arm under her husband’s “Come on Hank” she steered him out of the café before he could stir something up, Meg had always been the apple of his eye. “What’s the hurry” he asked when they came outside “No hurry, but I know you Hank Cummings and weather you like it or not I believe that in the seeable future we’ll have a second wedding in our family and both our daughters will have Evans as their last name” “Well knowing my Meggie, it won’t be as hasty as Sarah’s at least” “No, I think both Meg and Ben are more careful and like to plan things” they started to walk towards the store.

Meg stood at the counter ordering a cup of coffee to go. She didn’t know if the machine in the office would work and she knew she’d be there for a while. Just as Mark finished it up for her Ben came out of the office “Put that on the same bill Mark” Ben said and Meg smiled at him “It’s not necessary, I can pay for it” “Why are you Kansas people insisting on paying” he laughed and Meg shrugged her shoulders “Well then, I better extend my mother’s invitation for dinner this evening, she’s cooking. We’re hoping that Sarah and Derek come too” “Oh, if you let Derek know your mother’s cooking he’ll be there almost before you say it” Ben laughed “He’s always been a sucker for a home cooked meal” Meg corrected the strap of her handbag “And you, are you too a sucker for a home cooked meal” “Sure, but I like it just as much to cook myself” “Oh” Meg said surprised “Myself or together with someone” Ben added “Anyways, I better get back to the books” he said “I know all about it. I’m on my way to the office myself” she started to walk “Oh Ben, maybe if I may have your cell phone number I can send you a text when I know what time dinner will be” Ben looked in his pocket for a business card and found one “Here” he said and before he handed it to her he wrote something on the back “My home number if you ever should need it” he winked an eye at her “Have a nice afternoon in the office” “You too, and thanks a lot for lunch, it was great” Meg said and she left. Mark caught Ben’s eye just before he turned around “You got it bad this time boss” he laughed and Ben shook his head with a big smile on his face.

When Meg arrived at the office she put her coffee down and started the computer. She looked thru the pile of letters and started sorting them in new piles, most of them were CV’s from people who wanted to work at the hotel. She also made some notes about people to call to arrange the big opening weekend. Her cell phone rang and she picked it up without looking who called “It’s Meg here” she said “Hey sis” Sarah said in the other end “I was to call you” Meg sipped her coffee “Yes, mom is making dinner tonight and wants you and Derek to come over” “That won’t be any problems” they small talked a bit “By the way Sarah, do you know where the prospect from the security company is? I’d like to look it over” “I think it’s in the left top drawer in my desk. It’s a file with their logo on” Meg went over and opened the drawer “Yeah, it’s here. Thanks” “You’re welcome. When shall we be at the house?” Sarah asked and Meg looked at the piles “Tomorrow morning by the looks on what I have to do here, but is 7 ok with you?” “It is great” Sarah confirmed “Shall I call mom?” “Yes I think she’d appreciate it” Meg answered before they hung up.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment