Monday, May 27, 2013

Due South - Assignment Europe 02

Chapter 02 – Meeting Inspector Thatcher

Benton woke up the next morning to the smell of coffee and happily he stretched and with his usual efficiency jump out of bed. "Good morning" he said and walked the few steps over to kiss his wife like he had for the last five months, well they had only been married for one, but had lived together in Stine's apartment when work hadn't forced Benton to stay at the Consulate almost since they met. "Good morning Ben" Stine said and smiled at him. She couldn't believe how fast it all had gone since she had first laid eyes on him when he in his red formal uniform had stood two steps behind the Canadian Consult in Copenhagen, his back straight as a pole and hands on his back. She had been working with the Danish government, she still did as she had gotten a position on the Danish Consulate in Chicago. “I think we'll probably have to shop a bit this morning” Stine said. “I guess so” he agreed “There's nothing in the fridge is there?” he asked and got a look from Stine “Or in the cupboards, I know you've lived on your own, but some more plates and glasses wouldn't go amiss” Benton pulled her close and kissed her. At least he had gotten some curtains at the windows when Francesca stayed in his apartment for a few days when the family was threatened due to a case he and Ray worked on, but he thought maybe it was time to look for a nicer place, there wasn't even a proper bathroom in the apartment. He pulled away from Stine and sat down at the table “Maybe we should look for another place to live as well” he suggested as she sat down in his lap “Maybe, but this will do fine to start with” it was the simple things that made this man she loved so much. “So, I don't have to report to the Consulate until Wednesday, what shall we do today?” she asked “Well” Benton started “I need to check in with work and then I thought if you liked to that we'd go by the 27th precinct and I'd introduce you to my friends there” Stine smiled at him “May I join you at the Consulate too, I'd like to meet your boss and colleagues too” Benton nodded his approval “And I think it's good to bond with another Consulate now when I'm going to work at one too” she added.

As usual Benton dressed in his red uniform, but with the less formal attribute and Stine had to admire him just as she always did, he looked smashing in red. She dressed in a simple pant-suit and was ready to leave. Out on the street Benton put his hat on and then took Stine's hand. On the other side of him Diefenbaker trotted nicely, smelling around as he hadn't been back much in this neighborhood the last six months. It took them almost 20 minutes which was four more than it usually took Benton to walk to work, but he had gotten into a bit slower pace when he was out walking with Stine, when he walked by himself he still kept his efficient step. Benton was a bit nervous, he didn't know how the Inspector would take the news about his marriage. They had kissed a few times, but it never lead anywhere, mostly because she was Benton's superior. They stood just beneath the steps to the Canadian Consulate as constable Turnbull opened the door to go stand on his post in front of the building. The guys greeted each other by last names and Benton introduce Stine to the junior constable. Since the post was to start at 9am sharp there were no time for small talk and Benton was happy about it, Turnbull could be a bit too much sometimes. “Fraser is that you?” he heard from the inspector's office as he closed the door. “Yes Sir, it's me” she came to the door “Oh, it's you” she said as she saw him “I thought it would be your sister” Benton's sister Maggie Fraser had been his stand in when he had been in Copenhagen “I'm here Sir” Maggie came out of the little closet that was the senior officer's office “I'm sorry” the inspector said “I didn't know you were already in” she attempted a smile. “Bright and early, needed to type last week's report” she said and with the same precision as he brother handed the report to the inspector. “Thank you kindly” the inspector said “Can I see you in the office” she turned to Benton “And bring your wife” Benton stood still and actually had a surprised expression on his face. As Benton closed the door behind them he looked at the inspector “Sir?” he asked. “Didn't you think I'd find out when your sister wanted the weekend off to go to Copenhagen, she said for your birthday but we all know your birthday isn't for yet another month” she extended her hand to Stine “Welcome to the Canadian Consulate, I'm inspector Margret Thatcher” “Stine Jensen...Fraser” Stine said as she shook the inspector's hand, she still wasn't very used to her new last name. “So, Mrs Fraser” “Please say Stine” “Stine, I heard you will work at the Danish Consulate” “Yes I will” Stine confirmed “I'll start on Wednesday” “I hope you will like 'the windy city'” the inspector said “I'm sure I will, miss Thatcher” Stine said “I think I'll go catch up a bit with Maggie” she added and left the two Canadians to sort out whatever needed to be sorted out. Neither Benton nor Margret knew what to say or who should start, Benton took a step closer to the desk the inspector stood behind “So...” he said “So...” the inspector parroted, no one of them really used to talk about feelings and maybe that was the reason they never gotten together. “Oh, this is ridiculous” she went on “we're both adults and we never promised each other anything” “That's true” Benton agreed. It took a few more minutes but then the ice broke and they talked more freely and after 15 minutes or so Margret asked Benton to go get Stine, as they again entered the office she asked them to sit down. “What I know want to talk to you about is that since I learnt about your marriage I've been thinking of throwing you a party when you came back here. Would you two agree to let us do that, I've already asked your sister” she looked at Benton “She's been in contact with some caterers” Benton looked at Stine “Why not, none of your friends just your sister attended the wedding, all my family and friends were there so I think it's a great idea” she then looked at the woman behind the desk “It's a nice gesture, have you thought about a particular date?” “How about the next Saturday?” Stine dug out a calender from her purse “That will do just fine for me” she had already a working schedule and no weekends were booked so far “That is if the Consulate hasn't gotten any new appointments since I got my schedule” “It would be much appreciated if you could look into that as quick as possible and get back to me” “I will have an answer for you this afternoon” Stine promised “Thank you kindly” Inspector Thatcher said and stood up “Why don't you show Stine around the Consulate” she suggested to Benton who too stood up, just as straight backed as usual “I might just do that” he said “Thank you kindly Sir for throwing us the party” “You're most welcome constable” she lead them to the door and then went back to her work.

Disclaimer/Copyright 2013 and forward: I don't own anything from the series Due South, it's just borrowed for your entertainment. This is my story though and I feel I own that.

No comments:

Post a Comment