Monday, October 18, 2010

Starting over chapter 20

Chapter twenty

Meg set up her laptop on Ben’s desk and decided to work a bit before bed and that was where Ben found her when he arrived home “Even better in real life, than the photo id on my cell phone” Ben said and Meg spun around “You’re back” she beamed and rushed up to hug and kiss him “I’ve missed you so much Ben” she said in between the kisses. Ben took a deep breath “I’ve missed you too, I don’t know if I ever want to be away from you again” he swept her up in his arms and carried her upstairs.
The next couple of months went by fast. Ben and Derek made a quick trip to England to sort out the affairs with the estate. Meg and Sarah were busy with the hotel. In between they all managed to fly to Kansas for Thanksgiving since Joan wouldn’t have it any other way.

Since Meg had moved into Ben’s house the house she and Sarah owned was now occupied by the employees of the hotel if they needed a place to stay and both Sarah and Meg was happy about that since they didn’t really want to part from the house. One of the tenants though was Casey Mitchum the lifeguard and he was a wizard when it came to getting things fixed around the place.
Ben was sitting at the desk in the living room when Meg got back home “Are you home?” she asked and kissed him “Yes, I couldn’t get any work done in the office and I really need to wrap this Christmas party up” Meg sat down in his lap “I think you’re going to make a lot of children happy with this Christmas Eve party” Ben stroke some hair out of Meg’s face “For as long as I’ve arranged this event I’ve never felt like doing it as much as I have this year. And with you by my side I know nothing can go wrong” he kissed her softly “You’re hungry?” he asked and Meg shook her head and kissed him on the neck. “Oh Meg” Ben moaned and unwillingly pushed her away “Meg darling, I really need to finish this” he said but gave in to her kisses, he never could resist her.

Meg changed into her new red dress, put her hair up in a simple but still elegant do. She put her feet into her favorite pair of shoes and went down the stairs where Ben was waiting “Wow” he said when he saw her “This must be what Lionel Richie meant when he sang ‘Lady in red’” he walked over and pulled her into his arms and kissed her. Meg smiled at him “Thank you, you look quite handsome yourself tonight” she complimented Ben. “Are you sure we’re not overdressed for this evening?” “Not at all, when all the children’s left I’ve planned for you and me to have dinner in the wine cellar and for that we’re perfectly dressed” he took her hand “But if we don’t leave now, we’ll be late” they walked towards the door. Meg picked her purse up from the shelf by the door. At the Deep everyone was busy with the last minute stuff, soon all the children of Sunset Beach were coming. Ben had put in a lot of work with decorations and gotten all the toy stores in town to donate gifts which were now laying under a huge tree. “What kid wouldn’t love this” Meg said to Ben as they were standing at the bar with Derek and Sarah “And next year there will be a little Evans among them too” she added and smiled at her sister. “Well he or she will be here, but it will still be a bit young” Sarah said and put a protecting hand on the little bump on her stomach. “Have you heard if mom and dad have been able to leave Kansas yet?” she asked Meg “No, I haven’t. Last time I checked the internet the planes were still delayed, but they thought the snow was going to clear up” she sighed “I really hope they’ll be able to get here before tomorrow, I don’t know what a Christmas lunch it would be without mom and dad and then mom’s special seasoning of the turkey for dinner” Meg had bought all the ingredients, they were waiting for Joan at the house. Sarah hugged her sister “They will be here if I have to go to Kansas to get them myself. Derek’s promised me that I will get half a cup of dad’s eggnog” it wasn’t like Meg to be the worrying one of them. They were cut off by the first children and parents arriving. There were a big buffet with food and drinks, non alcoholic for everyone since this was all for the children. Just before it was time to open the presents Meg sneaked up to Ben’s office. She was there to check her phone to see if her parents had left any message about the flight but got the surprise of the day “Casey? What are you doing here?” she asked and he turned around with a costume in his hands “Didn’t Ben tell you? I’m moonlighting as Santa” he picked up a big fluffy pillow “Not a kid has yet recognized me during the years and most of the older ones I’ve taught to swim” Casey was not only a lifeguard he was a trained swimming teacher as well. “No, he never told me, actually I almost thought he would do it himself” she took out her cell phone “Anything important?” Casey asked and Meg looked up “Yes, my… our parents are coming for Christmas but it’s been snowing in Kansas” she read her new messages “But actually, they’re on the way now” she quickly hit a few buttons on the phone and was connected to the internet to check out the time the plane was going to land. “I’ll leave you alone” Meg said and went back downstairs. “Why does this always happen to me” Casey said to himself “I’m always too late” he sighed and got dressed. He couldn’t help but think of last Christmas when he and Rae had pretended to be married to get her parents to back off from them living together just as friends. It had all blown up when Rae’ ex-fiancé now husband Wei-Lee had turned up out of the blue. Casey put on the mask and went for the door.

Sarah and Derek were still sitting at the bar when Meg came back. Meg had together with Ben hosted the party up until it was time for Santa to come “This is great isn’t it?” Meg said to her sister “I can’t believe how wonderful and generous Ben is” and Sarah put her hand on Derek’s thigh “I can, he’s twin with my husband” she looked back to her sister “Heard anything yet?” Meg nodded “They’re on the way and they’re landing in two hours” “What is their flight number?” Sarah asked and Meg answered her “Good” Sarah went on “We’re collecting them” Meg started to protest “No Meg, you’ve done so much for me lately, sending me home from work so I could spend time with Derek when really it should be you that should spend time with Ben, the two of you got a wedding to plan, we already are married” Meg smiled “Maybe it’s because you already are married I want you two to spend time together” she said in defense “Meg, you’re always putting everyone in front of yourself. I know Ben’s got dinner plans for you tonight. I want you to relax and enjoy yourself. I know you want to meet mom and dad, but they probably just want to get to the hotel after having waited most of the day at the airport” Sarah said in her most convincing voice “And I know mom will be at your place first thing in the morning to get the turkey started” Meg hugged her sister “Ok, I’ll give in, you two can go get mom and dad”

“Ho, ho, ho” the words echoed thru the club “Oh, look it’s Santa” Ben said and pointed to the door “But why are you coming thru the door?” he asked “Because you haven’t built your chimney big enough” Casey answered and patted his big stomach and all the children laughed. To make the process of giving out the gifts all kids had played a game earlier on where they had searched all around the club for a note with a number on. Blue for boys and pink for girls and then the gifts all had numbers on them too. Ben was now stepping back, letting Casey run the show. He found Meg with his brother and Sarah at the bar “Another successful year brother dear” Derek said “Yes, it is” Ben smiled “Are you all up for a glass of champagne?” Derek looked at Sarah “You do what you like. I don’t have any problems driving” she said “Driving?” Ben asked and Meg put her arm around his waist “Yes, Sarah and Derek have offered to go pick mom and dad up, they’re finally on their way” Ben kissed Meg on the cheek “That’s great news. So three champagne then?” he looked at them all “No, I better not” Derek said and Sarah rolled her eyes “Now he’s doing it again. Being overprotective, I said I can drive you don’t have to do it” Derek looked at her “I just don’t want anything to happen to the things that are so precious to me” Derek held up his hands in defeat “Pour me one Ben, or I’ll never hear the end of it” Ben poured three glasses of champagne and some sparkling water for Sarah “To the first of many great Christmases” he raised his glass and the others joined.

When all the children had gotten their presents Ben wished everyone Merry Christmas and people started to leave, after all they did have things to do at their homes. Christmas Day the club would be closed but Boxing Day there would be a big party that had been sold out for a long time. Meg was looking forward to meeting a lot of her new friends. She was also looking forward to the big party she and Sarah would be hosting on New Year’s Eve. She had had help from a friend in Germany to book a band that probably would surprise a lot of people. “A penny for your thoughts” Ben snuck up behind her “Is that all they’re worth?” Meg turned around and smiled at him “No, they’re worth a lot more” Ben said “And I’m willing to give them to you for free” Meg admitted. “So, what are they?” Meg shook her head “Some are still secrets, but mostly I was thinking about how great this holiday season would be” “It sure will” Ben agreed.
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach, any other soaps/series and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment