Thursday, October 14, 2010

Starting over chapter 19

Chapter nineteen
Just then Ben’s cell phone rang “Excuse me” he said as he took out of his inner pocket. He smiled when he saw the photo id of Meg “You’re a sight for sore eyes” he answered the phone and forgot about his company totally.
“That’s one way to answer your phone” Meg laughed “How are you? Funeral over?” she asked “I’m ok, funeral is over and I’ve been to the house” he sighed “Was it bad?” Meg asked in her own sweet way “Not really, it’s just I don’t know what to keep and not. And I don’t know what Derek would like to keep” “Maybe you should come back home then and wait with selling the estate until you and Derek both have been able to be there together” “You are so wise my dear” Ben said “I think I will do just that” Meg smiled to herself “You know it was a selfish idea at first, I’ve missed you so much” she said and told him about having trouble sleeping alone “Why don’t you sleep in my house then” Ben shrugged his shoulders “Then I don’t have to look for you if I get home in the middle of the night either” “Now who’s the wise guy?” Meg laughed feeling satisfied with the idea of staying in Ben’s house, she even got an idea what to do with hers and Sarah’s. They talked a bit more about this and that before they said bye. Seeing the happy face on Ben the bartender asked the short question “Wife?” Ben grinned “Fiancée, but I can’t wait until I can call her wife” Sophia on the other hand hadn’t given up her attempts to get to Ben “Can I buy you another one?” she offered and Ben shook his head “Thanks but no thanks, I’m going to get to my room now” she raised her eyebrows and Ben added “Alone, rearrange my flights and fly home to my fiancée” Ben extended his hand as the businessman he is “Sorry to say miss Sinclair but we’ll not be doing business not even when we get back to sell” he hoped she learnt her lesson. He then left the bar.

Ben couldn’t get a flight until a couple of days later so the next day he went back to the estate, took some photos himself and met up with the two real estate agencies that he had talked to. They both said they would send him their offers by e-mail. The things Ben wanted to bring back to America at once were papers and jewelry that was of any worth. He didn’t like the feeling of those things stuck in a house that he was that far away from. Besides it got him a chance to look things over until he and Derek could return. He didn’t know if Derek was checking his e-mails but he sent him one telling him about the progress or the lack of.

Derek and Sarah had been to a few small cities exploring. The last one on their list was called Rosario and by old folk’s tales it meant happiness to visit the city as newlyweds. “Do we really have to go home tomorrow Derek?” Sarah asked as they were enjoying lunch at the old square of Rosario “Unfortunately real life is waiting for us” He took her hand and kissed her fingers “Besides, Christmas is coming up and I’m looking forward to spending it with you” he looked her deeply in the eyes and Sarah smiled at him “I believe mom and dad will come too since Meg and I can’t leave the hotel” “I don’t mind that a bit, I’ve not celebrated Christmas as a family in years, it’s just been me and Ben” Their food arrived and after having eaten they walked around looking at some old buildings and other things. There was a few market stalls with this and that to buy and Sarah picked a few things up for her sister and mother to give them at Christmas.

Since Meg had worked long the previous evening she decided to go in a bit later and spend the morning packing a few necessary things up and take them over to Ben’s. She felt a certain kind of calm when she entered the house. She let herself fantasies about the future she and Ben would have, children at least two hopefully a boy and a girl and how they would decorate the two spare rooms upstairs for them. But first they would marry “I need to find a dress” she suddenly realized and dropped her boxes right there and then and went to find the telephone book where she looked up Gaby’s number, after all she was planning her wedding to Ricardo. “Hello, this is Gaby” she answered “Hi Gaby, it’s Meg. Meg Cummings” Gaby laughed “You don’t have to say your last name every time we talk” they had talked a few times when Gaby’s been at work. “Guess it’s a habit from dealing with so many people over the phone” Meg said “Actually Gaby, I’ve got a problem that you might be able to solve” “Oh, what’s that?” she asked curiously. “I’m looking for a wedding boutique” Meg answered “A wedding boutique, that sounds interesting” “Exciting is more like it” Meg beamed “Ben and I are getting married” “Congratulations Meg, I’m so happy for you both you suite each other really well” “Thank you” Meg answered “Well, I know a few. I could pop over to the hotel after work and give you the numbers” Gaby offered “That would be great, I’ll be there after 2 or so” Meg said before they hung up.

Two days later Ben finally landed in New York, his connecting flight to California was delayed he found out and he rolled his eyes “This has been one bad trip from the start” he said out loud but mostly to himself. He turned around from the monitors and bumped into a man “Excuse me” Ben said and looked up and started to laugh “Max, what are you doing here?” “I could ask you the same cousin?” the men hugged “Well I’m on my way home, been back in England” Ben told and Max nodded “Then we’ll be on the same flight, that is if it leaves at all” Max said “You know why?” Ben asked “Something about some technicians going on strike and the rest won’t work overtime” They went to sit down “So, are you travelling alone?” Ben asked “Yes, I have to check out a theatre and Fran decided to stay back here with the twins” “Where?” Ben asked curiously “Actually in LA, but if it goes well and we need to live out there I thought we’d look for something in your town” Max said “You could do worse than Sunset Beach” Ben laughed. “Been doing some research, seems like the town’s growing, new hotel?” “Not really” Ben said “It’s just newly renovated” Max nodded “Two sisters from Kansas I read” Ben couldn’t help but smile “And the ‘never ever let anyone this close again’ Ben Evans have fallen head over heels” Max laughed. “Well I didn’t know that Meg was one of those sisters when I first met her since that was in Mallorca during my vacation there” “I’m happy for you, you deserve to find true love Ben” Max knew how hard it had been on Ben when he had found out that Maria who he thought was his soul mate had cheated on him. “So, what about Derek, he’s up to his usual mischief’s?” Ben shook his head “Believe it or not Max, but Derek’s happily married and expecting a baby next year” “No way?” he said surprised “Derek Evans a family man?” Ben shrugged his shoulders “Well I was surprised myself too, but Sarah’s a lovely lady” “With a will of iron if she got Derek to settle down” “That’s true, but those Cummings’ sisters does have a will of iron, you should see what they did to the hotel” “Now wait a minute” Max said after thinking about what Ben had said “Cummings’ sisters?” “Yes, Meg and Sarah are sisters” Max just laughed “Don’t tell me they’re twins just like you and Derek too?” Ben shook his head “No, they’re not” he said.

“We’ve got some good news for all travelers going west. The flight for LA will start boarding in 10 minutes” the voice over the speakers said. Both Ben and Max got up from the seats and went over to the gate “I can’t wait to get back” Ben said “I bet you can’t if you got a lovely lady waiting for you” Max teased and Ben looked at him Fran really has changed you”
___________________________________________________________________________
All connections to Sunset Beach, any other soaps/series and real life characters are purely for your pleasure.
©tinadolphin@comhem.se 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment